What is your most used social media?

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Ranked as the 7th most popular social network among teens, Google takes the spot. Google was founded in 1998 by Larry Page and Sergei Brin, previous Stanford University students. Founders Page and Brin decided to set up their first data center in Page's dorm to better the website, monitor the activity and begin their new career as website designers. Today, Google is known as the most important, let alone popular search engine around the world. 

Later on down the road, Page and Brin decided to build an official company and started looking for investors to help build the company with influence of David Filo, also a student from Stanford. After a big interest in Googles search technology, Sun Microsystems company invested $100,000 in Google, which led them to eventually raise over $1 million! After searching for investors, fundraising and lots of hard work, on September 7th, 1998, Google, Inc. was finally created in a friend's garage in Menlo Park, California where Craig Silverstein was the first employee hired at the company. 


Google developed an awesome reputation as a trustworthy source of information; it was serving 500,000 queries a day. With much success, the company later moved from the four walled, not so professional garage to the now mega Googleplex headquarters in Mountain View, California.


The name "Google" originated from a misspelling of "googol". Page and Bring said, "we chose our systems name, Google, because it is a common spelling of googol, or 10100 and fits well with our goal of building very large-scale search engines."

The website was more successful than they had planned; they are surely known for their quick service and reliability and the number of visitors still continues to grow. Google has become a very important search engine around the world. Today, Google has over 7.2 billion page views a day, and profited over $2 billion. I spend a lot of time on Google, asking questions, researching subjects for school, or even looking at pictures and videos. Google provides you with endless information that can be used for anything. Since the beginning, Google was aiming to provide the best user experience possible, and which became a reality!

Tune in next week to find out the 5th most popular social networking among teens! Ill give you a hint, it starts with the letter T....

http://www.submittoday.com/history_of_google.htm
http://mashable.com/2013/08/16/teens-social-media-chart/
http://www.google.ca/about/company/history/

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised to read that Google is the 6th most popular social networking site - I know I can't do without it and I'm sure the world can agree. I've always thought it would be number one. Whatever question I may have and whatever thought comes through my mind, I don't hesitate to Google it. Or YouTube it. YouTube, I'm thinking, is the number one social network site. I may be wrong, but I know so many people who have no social life because of it and I may or may not be one of those people. Then again, would YouTube be considered as Google. I hear Google bought it.

    Anyway, I'm guessing the 5th is Twitter? That would also comes as a surprise to me! I guess I just feel as though these four would tie at number one, with Facebook.

    I can't wait for your future blogs!

    ReplyDelete